Thursday, May 12, 2011

Stampin' Celebration #51


It's time for this week's Stampin' Celebration Challenge!  This week the colors really drew my eye, so I pulled out Old Olive and Marina Mist (a suggestion from the Color Coach) and went to work using my new Summer Splash stamp set from the Summer Mini Catalog.  


This is the 'card' and 'envelope' all in one.  This crimped envelope idea is one I learned a long time ago, and haven't used forever.  The best part is it's really simple.  :-)  Start with an envelope--here I used a Crumb Cake envelope--seal, and cut off one of the short ends.  I cut off 1 3/4" on mine.  Then take the bottom half of the envelope and run it through your crimper.  (When was the last time you pulled out your crimper?)  By crimping just the bottom half, it is now just narrow enough for the top section to slip over easily.  

To embellish my envelope, I sponged with Crumb Cake, tied around Marina Mist taffeta ribbon and Hemp Twine, and added some surfboards. When you take off the top section, it looks like this:  


I used my 1" Circle Punch to take out a little notch--that lets the recipient know there's more inside.  And here's a look at what's inside:  


So there it is!  I kept it pretty simple and didn't do a lot of embellishment.  I used my markers to color the surfboards different colors before I stamped.  I distressed the edges, sponged Crumb Cake, and matted onto Old Olive.  

I think this would be an adorable invitation idea for a summer birthday party!  It would also work great for almost any occasion such as birthday or 'hi'.  As a side note, this style of card also works really well as a way to give a gift card. 

Thanks for coming by!  Make sure to head over to Stampin' Celebration to see who the Party Guest Designer is this week as well as the work from the other Design Team members. 

Stamps:  Summer Splash
Ink:  Marina Mist, Old Olive, Crumb Cake
Paper:  Old Olive, Whisper White, Crumb Cake envelope
Accessories:  Crimper, Cutter Kit, 1" Circle Punch, sponge, Marina Mist Taffeta Ribbon, Hemp Twine

6 comments:

Kym said...

This is a gorgeous card! I love the color combo.

Cori Kozak said...

This is fantastic! Love those little surf boards and the inking and twine is perfect!!

Amanda Mertz said...

Neat trick! I've never seen that before and I'm going to have to give it a try! Love the colors too! TFS!

The Country Rose said...

Wow! That is an awesome card! Totally takes you to the beach :)

Kym said...

This is so cool! I love the colors and the hemp with the ribbon looks great.

Lois said...

This is awesome! I love it!!! TFS