Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Box in a Bag


Here it is, the ever popular "Box in a Bag"! Diana Gibbs posted an awesome tutorial on her wesite Stampin' With Di and as far as I can tell everyone is making these adorable bags now! Click HERE to see her detailed and easy-to-follow tutorial for making these bags.

When we made these for Technique Club, I made just a couple of slight alterations. For the base piece, I started with a 4 1/4" by 4 1/4" piece of cardstock so that I could get 4 bases (instead of just 2) per 8 1/2 by 11" paper. Another minor change I made was that I scored at 3/4" around the edges instead of at 1".


Then I just followed Diana's tutorial and folded along all the scored lines, folded them up, and glued them to form the base of the box. Another minor change I made was that I cut my designer paper to 6" by 12" (half a sheet of Designer Paper). The picture at the very top of the post shows the bag made with Bella Rose Designer Paper, and in the following pictures I am using Hawaii Papaya Designer Paper.

I took a couple quick pictures as I was making the bag, but again for a more detail explanation and more pictures head over to Diana's tutorial.

To decorate the bottom of my bag, I of course wanted to use my new scallop edge punch! I used a strip of 12" by 1 1/4" Chocolate Chip paper. For those who haven't used the scallop punch yet, it is really easy! Put the paper in and punch the first time. Then just slide the paper along, line it up with the scallops on the guide on the punch, and then punch again. The punch does all the work of lining the scallops up for you. Whoever came up with the idea for this punch with the guide is genius!


After I punched that, I used my white gel pen to add some detail and then wrapped the strip around the bottom of the bag. I used the Round Tab punch for the handles (again this idea was from Diana's tutorial) and ribbon to tie everything up. Here's the final product.


Bag #1:
Paper: Bella Rose Designer Paper, Kiwi Kiss, and Riding Hood Red
Accesories: Kiwi Kiss Satin Ribbon, Riding Hood Red Taffeta Ribbon, Scallop Edge Punch, White Gel Pen, Round Tab Punch, 1/2" circle punch, Crop-A-Dile, Sticky Strip

Bag #2:
Paper: Hawaii Papaya Designer Paper, Chocolate Chip, and Tangerine Tango
Accesories: Kiwi Kiss Satin Ribbon, 5/8" Chocolate Chip Grosgrain Ribbon, Scallop Edge Punch, White Gel Pen, Round Tab Punch, 1/2" circle punch, Crop-A-Dile, Sticky Strip

7 comments:

Christine said...

I love this bag! I have got to try to make one sometime. I think there are some women in my ward that are demonstrators for stampin up, but they aren't as gung ho about it as you are and I haven't met them yet. Would it be too difficult to place an order through you when I decide to? Would it be more expensive?

Carmen said...

I am going to scrap lift this!!! I love and thank you for sharing. Nice blog!

Conni said...

you did a great job, and awesome insructions! Looks great
C

*Sally* said...

Oh I am so off to make me a bag!!!
TFS! FAB!

Sally x

Anonymous said...

Cute Bag - great idea about modifying the measurements!

Elizabeth said...

Your blog is the BEST :) D'you know I saw this tutorial a few weeks ago and do you think I could find it again?

Thanks so much for the link and I LOVE the color combination you have used. I wonder why chocolate is my favorite color?

Elizabeth, Southampton UK

Karen said...

Cute bags! I tried one - actually two. They were really fun. On my second I cut the corners to make flaps instead of the triangle things - it was a little easier to work with and then cut 3/4 inch off the top of my designer paper (so it measured 5 1/4 instead of 6), scalloped it and put it on the bottom of the bag (reverse side out) before I attached the paper to the box part, then put it all together. Love it, love it, love it!
Thanks so much