Friday, September 5, 2008

Faux Embrace



Although I actually designed this card a while ago, I just finished making some more of these a few days ago for a special order that I had from a friend. Since I had everything out, I thought I would take a few pictures of the process. This card showcases the faux silk technique. I first saw the faux silk technique over on Splitcoaststampers, and just had to try it out. There is a great tutorial HERE. If you haven't ever tried faux silk before, you should as it is really quite simple, and the results are very elegant! Begin by stamping (and coloring if desired) on a piece of tissue paper. A couple of hints--start with a piece of tissue paper that is slightly larger than what you want the finished size to be. Also, when you stamp/color on the paper, make sure there is scratch paper underneath as it will bleed through. Here I used Basic Gray ink to stamp the image from the set Embrace Life, and then colored with a Lavender Lace marker.
Next, crinkle your tissue paper into a little ball and then carefully open it again. Take your glue stick and completely cover your piece of card stock. Adhere the tissue paper to the card stock. You'll want to smooth the tissue paper a little to make sure it sticks, but don't smooth out all the wrinkles as that is what gives the silk look. Trim the excess tissue paper.
Add you desired embellishments. Here I layered the Whisper White card stock onto Basic Gray and then added the Basic Gray Taffeta ribbon, Hodgepodge Hardware frame (now retired), and the sentiment. The sentiment is from the set Fundamental Phrases. I stamped the sentiment first and then used the Small Oval Punch to punch it out.
This card also has a unique fold to create a pocket on the inside. I did not come up with the idea for this particular type of unique fold. I know they showed this unique fold at at least some of the Stampin Up regionals this year. Anyway, to make the base of the card, start with a 4" by 12" piece of Lavender Lace paper. Score at 4" and 8", and then score diagonally connecting the lines. The black lines show where I scored.
Next, fold the right side of the paper down, so that it goes behind the rest of the card stock. You'll want to adhere the two triangles together. Then, fold that bottom section up and use a very small line of adhesive to glue the left side of the right (back) panel to the middle of the card. This creates the pocket. It sounds confusing, but once you try it, it is actually quite easy!
Then add the front to your card (the faux silk panel) and a note to go in the pocket. This also works really well as a nice way to give a gift card!

Stamps: Embrace Life, Fundamental Phrases
Ink: Lavender Lace, Basic Gray, Lavender Lace marker
Paper: Lavender Lace, Whisper White, Basic Gray
Accessories: tissue paper, glue stick, Basic Gray taffeta ribbon, pewter HPH frame, Small Oval Punch, Round Tab Punch, sponge
Technique: Faux Silk, Pocket Card


7 comments:

Leslie said...

I love it! It's gorgeous! Football season is my card-making season. I LOVE the sport, but feel like I'm wasting my time if I just sit around watching all of Sunday afternoon. So, I make cards. I can't wait to try this one. Must get some tissue paper. Thanks for the lesson!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful card! I love the tutorial, too. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angela said...

This looks gorgeous! Such a pretty card you've made using that technique.

And thanks so much for the "bling"! I so appreciate that you thought of me and take the time to visit my blog :)

xiumaiyuki said...

thanks for the tutorial. such a pretty card!

Darlene said...

GREAT job on the faux silk and your card set is wonderful!!! Very clever!!!

Sara said...

Beautiful technique, can't wait to try it.
Sara

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card and thanks for the tutorials!